Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Must Have Veggie Side Dishes!

So I posted the first blog in a rush. I was trying to get the first week's recipes out to you before the New Year officially began. I really should have taken more time to add the side dishes to each meal. So this post will be all about veggies and sides.
I have been very adamant about exposing my kids to all varieties of vegetables in hopes that they would not be "picky" eaters. I have been very blessed because none of them seem too terribly picky when it comes to food. When they do decide to turn their nose up at something new I gently (ok sometimes not so gently) remind them of our family rule about new food: You don't have to eat it if you don't like it, but you aren't allowed to say you don't like it before you try it, and if you don't like it that is too bad and you don't get anything else. (It sounds kind of harsh but children really won't starve themselves under normal circumstances.) The majority of the time when they try it they like it. Zoe, my oldest, really doesn't care for asparagus so I don't push it anymore. Her favorite veggie however is BRUSSELS SPROUTS!! I know, it's crazy.... a 6 year old who begs for brussels sprouts is a bit odd. But then again, brussels sprouts are one of my favorite too IF they are done the right way. I am proud to say I have perfected the art of making brussels sprouts. So without further adieu here are some of the must have veggie recipes that I serve to my family on a regular basis:

Oven Baked Brussels Sprouts and Bacon Wrapped Asparagus (I make these two recipes together usually at the beginning of the week. We eat the sprouts right after cooking and the asparagus that doesn't get eaten is saved in the fridge for a perfect and quick go to snack for the week. I do however have trouble saving any because if I don't put them in the fridge right away Roman will sneak in the kitchen and gobble them up. haha!)
Sprouts: 2lb bag of FRESH brussels sprouts trimmed and quartered
1 tsp each: garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper
EVOO (extra virgin olive oil)
Asparagus: 2lb FRESH Asparagus
1/2 tsp each: salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder
EVOO
1/2-1 pack of nitrate free uncured bacon (REAL, NOT TURKEY!!!)

Instructions: Preheat oven to 375. Place sprouts in large bowl and sprinkle with seasoning. Pour a generous amount of EVOO on top and give it a good mixing with bare hands (it doesn't mix well without getting your hands dirty. Pour sprouts onto a large baking pan. On top of the sprouts place a cookie cooling rack. Using the same large bowl as before, place trimmed asparagus in, sprinkle with seasonings and some EVOO again mixing them with your hands to be sure each one gets a good even coating of the olive oil and seasoning. Then bundle the asparagus spears, 8 or so in a bundle and wrap with bacon starting on one end and wrapping toward the other to make sure bacon covers the most amount of asparagus as possible. Place bundles on cookie cooling rack on top of the sprouts. (See where this is going... the bacon drips onto the sprouts and the result is HEAVENLY!) Bake in oven for 30 minutes or until the bacon is starting to crisp. You will have some of the sprouts start to brown and even burn a little. My kids fight over who gets the "crispies". The darker the better. Sometimes I throw the oven on Broil for a minute or two to really crisp up the bacon but that is up to you. Eat the sprouts right out of the oven because you won't be able to resist anyway. If you want to eat the asparagus too that's fine. If you want to use that for later they taste great heated up for 30 seconds in the microwave. I use these as a post workout snack (when I was working out regularly before being pregnant... I really need to get back to the gym!)

Paleo Glazed Carrots
5-10 carrots peeled and sliced
2-3 TBS coconut oil
1 TBS raw local honey or 100% pure Maple Syrup
Instructions: Heat coconut oil in large skillet (I have a great non stick skillet I use). Add carrots and honey/maple syrup. Cook until carrots are tender; 5-10 minutes depending on your tenderness preference. Good luck having any leftovers... my kids beg for more.

Oven Baked Broccoli 
2 trimmed heads of broccoli cut into florets
1/2 tsp each garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper
EVOO
1 TBS sesame oil (optional for an Asian flavor)
Instructions: Preheat oven to 375. Place broccoli in large bowl and sprinkle with seasonings. Generously drizzle with EVOO and 1 TBS sesame oil if using. Mix thoroughly with hands. Pour onto a large baking pan. Bake for 30 minutes or until cooked to the tenderness you prefer. We like it when just a few of the tiny leaves are turning dark brown.

Crock Pot Sweet Potatoes
A bunch of sweet potatoes
foil
Instructions: Individually wrap each potato with foil. Place in crock pot on low for 6-8 hours. I usually put them on before work and by dinner time they are very soft and perfect for eating. The longer they cook the easier they are to peel if you plan to peel and mash them. I like to eat mine cut in half with a little grassfed butter and salt. Everyone else likes butter, cinnamon, and a drizzle of honey. You can also mash these up and mix with some coconut oil and honey for a sweet potato mash. I make a whole bunch at a time and stick them in the fridge for an easy side dish through the week.

Steamed Cabbage
1 head of Cabbage with core removed (as best you can)
water
Instructions: Place 2 inches of water in a large pot. Place cabbage in water and boil. As the cabbage boils you will be able to peel off the leaves carefully one at a time. Once you have gotten most of the leaves off you will be left with a small amount of cabbage left. Remove and thinly slice the remaining cabbage. I use the leaves for cabbage rolls or as "paleo tortillas" for enchiladas. My husband just loves cabbage and I use the thinly sliced cabbage as "pasta" for serving spaghetti sauce on top. You can season it as you wish.

Sherried Mushrooms and Onions
1 large onion sliced
2lbs thinly sliced mushrooms
6 cloves garlic
1/2 cup dry sherry
1/2 tsp each salt and pepper
EVOO
Instructions: Heat large skillet over medium high heat. Add EVOO and veggies and crushed garlic to skillet and cook until soft. (I prefer mine to be not quite all the way soft; my mom likes them caramelized, so just make them how you like them either way tastes great). Add sherry and cook an additional  minutes. Serve this over steaks or burgers, or all on its own. (This is delish on top of the salisbury burgers I posted for the first week). My mom likes to melt swiss on top too. Which is yummy too but we are trying to limit the dairy...

I have so many more recipes for veggies to share: Garlicky Spaghetti Squash "noodles", cauliflower "rice", tomato cucumber salad, to name a few. But that is for another post.

No comments:

Post a Comment